GIMP 2.10.22 is a bug fix release that contains mostly maintenance changes in core code.
GIMP is a free, cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program and is released under the GNU General Public License.
- Improved HEIC and newly added AVIF support
- Numerous improvements in the PSP file format support
- Improved multi-layer TIFF exporting
- Better handling of the Exif “Orientation” metadata
- New “Sample merged” option in the GEGL operation tool
You can further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization options and 3rd party plugins. On the official plug-in side though there are quite a few improvements, in particular,
- better support of image formats
- AVIF is now supported by GIMP, both for import and export. (see Note below)
Note:: AVIF is already experimentally supported on the web in Firefox (to enable set image.avif.enabled in about:config), Chrome and Opera. It could make it a contender as a web image format.